Saturday, January 29, 2022

lotsa zest

Best Day Ever! by Marilyn Singer & illustrated by Leah Nixon (Picture Book)

Perhaps I’m partial to this book because the dog reminds me so much of one of my dogs. My dog's mantra is just like the dog’s mantra in this book, “this is the best day ever!” Just like the dog in this book, my dog’s zest for life brings me so much joy but also gets her into a little trouble. I love the subtle message in this book, which is that sometimes you just need to remove yourself from whatever is frustrating you and come back after you’ve had a moment to calm down. Each time the dog gets into trouble the little boy is initially frustrated, but his love for his dog wins out and they’re back to cuddles and fun again. I also enjoyed the artwork, which is simple, fun, and a little reminiscent of Cabrera, and the notes at the end from both author and illustrator about their dogs was such a sweet touch.

No comments:

Post a Comment