Friday, January 21, 2022

comforting, warm, and sweet

A Place to Hang the Moon by Kate Albus

A Place to Hang the Moon is a little reminiscent of The War that Saved My Life because it’s about siblings who are evacuated from London to the country during WWII.  In A Place to Hang the Moon, Anna, Edmond, and William are in a unique situation.  Their parents passed away long before the war and they have been living with their grandmother.  When their grandmother passes away, their solicitor decides to send them to the country with a group of children evacuees.  The hope is that their temporary placement will turn into their forever home.  

Though the siblings encounter a lot of adversity, they stay loyal to themselves and who they are.  Edmond is impulsive and tends say and make rash decisions that affect all three kids.  But he is the most spirited and interesting of the bunch, and I found myself cheering him on a few times.  William, the oldest, is unfailingly responsible, polite, and diplomatic.  Though the story wrapped up nicely, I do wish there was a little more room for William to have the opportunity to be a kid at the end.  He spent the entire book taking care of Anna and Edmond and didn’t really get a chance to be a kid except for one small moment, which I will not ruin for you!  Anna was the sibling I least connected with.  I thought she came off as a little young for 9 years old, but a lot of that has to do with William doing such a wonderful job taking care of her.  I also enjoyed the other characters in this story and appreciated how there were still a few wrinkles at the end.  

I will be delighted if there is a sequel, but I feel like this book wrapped up nicely and doesn’t really need one.  I only want a sequel so that I can continue to be a part of Anna, Edmond, and William’s adventures!  If you are looking for a comforting, warm, and sweet book filled with interesting characters, you should definitely check this book out!

No comments:

Post a Comment