Thursday, January 6, 2022

Monsters

At the library tonight a little boy who was about five years old asked for books about tardigrades.

Since we didn't have any books about tardigrades at my library branch tonight, I decided to offer the next best thing.  

It was a terrible mistake!

We had a book called, Tiny Monsters, which is about microscopic critters, and I was momentarily thrilled my library had something to offer him.

When I told him the title of the book, however, he was horrified.  "They're not monsters!  Monsters is a mean name to call someone!" 

He wouldn't even consider the book.  He was so appalled by my recommendation he wouldn't consider anything else I showed him either.  

I'm all about providing memorable library experiences that children will remember when they grow up.  Perhaps his feelings of horror will blossom into a book he'll write someday about the proper naming etiquette of petite organisms.

So I'm going to chalk this one up as a win!  

In his defense, tardigrades are also called 'water bears' and 'moss piglets,' so perhaps other microscopic critters have cute names and do not deserve the title of 'monsters.'

Monster or cutie - you decide.

While I would love to take credit for the above photo, I cannot because I have yet to find any moss piglets who will give me permission to take their picture.

No comments:

Post a Comment