Saturday, January 8, 2022

Brave as a Mouse

My first favorite picture book of the year is a total gem, and it's all sorts of wacky and charming!

Brave as a Mouse by Nicolo Carozzi (Picture Book)

When I saw the cover of this book I thought, what is going on?!? But after reading the story, the cover makes perfect sense and truly captures bravery and empathy at its best.  The illustrations are so telling and fun to talk about.  For example, we see cat shadows before we see the cats.  We see cat faces on the cat food bags before we know they are bags of cat food.  Though it isn't really established that the fish is unhappy and wants a different life, I applaud the mice for thinking empathetically.  I can only hope the fish gave the mice permission to be whisked off in a cup.  What an interesting thing to talk about with others!  For example, are there any clues in the text or illustrations that convey the fish's feelings?  How do you think the fish feels?  How would you feel if you were a fish who lived in a small bowl that was sitting in a house full of cats?  So many questions!  I'm so glad this was the first picture book of the year for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment