Wednesday, April 25, 2018

What happened to storytime?!?


So I bet your're wondering - what the heck happened with those storytime posts?

We ended our season in March and are in the middle of a two-month break due to system-wide changes at my library.  This is code for chaos, library chaos!  We recently added a new branch and have a list of branches needing extensive renovation.  Because of the new branch, we have hired and moved around a lot of people, and there are currently four new people at my branch with more staff changes ahead.  

I'm not sure a storytime break was best for our patrons, but I have been using the time wisely.  It was brought to my attention that all three of the storytimes offered at my branch, including toddler storytime, were far too large and surpassed the number of individuals allowed in our meeting room at a time.  Sadly but wisely, this means we will most likely need to ticket in June and July for our family storytime.  What the heck is ticketing, you ask?  Well, we will have a certain number of tickets to hand out, and once we've handed them all out, everyone else is turned away.  Oh the despair!

In the fall we will be offering the same storytime twice in one day at staggered times in the hopes we do not have to ticket.  We will be doing this for all three age groups due to their popularity.  There has been much discussion about this.  Two identical storytimes means I will have twice the practice and be a storytime expert in no time, right?

As for the June and July storytime, I will be facilitating the June portion of it and have lots of new ideas to implement and try.  Though I have purchased my first puppet, a crow named Larry the Librarian (Robert, always the creative soul, named him), I still don't have voices mastered.  Therefore Larry is still in the frightening developmental stages of creation.  I've also been researching how to engage parents more in my storytime, because it was something I struggled with during my toddler storytime.  And flipping the room around, changing up my hello and goodbye song, and trying the parachute again (I guess it's true time heals all things).  Lots of changes!

I still have one more month of storytime planning so who knows what other crazy things I'll think of.  Perhaps disco storytime?  Disco storytime with Larry the Librarian?

No comments:

Post a Comment