Sunday, April 1, 2018

Happy Easter!


This is Chickie.  He was the star of the Easter display at our library:



I borrowed the cheesy quote from Pintrest.  Everything else, including the charming color of the egg, was all me.  Due to the white paper on the other side of the window, chickie's egg was chocolate.  When kids asked about the color of the egg, most accepted my response that it was a chocolate egg.  Only one kid called it something else, which I shall not repeat (it starts with a P, that's all I will say).  Also, before the googly eyes, the black circles I drew were terrifying.  Thank goodness for googly eyes.  And though I wasn't thrilled with my eyelash artwork, I saw a kid point them out to her dad and say, "look at those beautiful eyelashes!"  

For the past couple weeks, kids wrote their favorite books on a dot and decorated Chickie's egg:


Whenever a dot was filled out I asked the kids where they wanted their dot to go.  My thought was that if I cared where my dot would go, so would the kids, but I was really surprised by how much it mattered to them.  It mattered just as much as figuring out which book and dot color to pick, and I had some great interactions with the kiddos while they made their decisions.  

In addition to Chickie and her chocolate egg, I also hid pictures of several famous bunnies, such as Peter Rabbit and Knuffle Bunny, around the library and offered a selection of 'color your own bookmarks' for kids who found the bunnies.  This was also a hit.  We had so many delightful interactions with patrons about the bunnies.  Some kids found a few bunnies and were satisfied with that.  Even when their adult told them there were more bunnies to find, the kids would shrug and choose their bookmark.  Other kids, upon discovering they didn't find all the bunnies, went right back to searching.  One kid found all the bunnies and decided that she could do better.  She was at the library for about an hour and in that hour she pulled out a handful of books that had bunnies in them and brought them to the desk each time she found one.  I wouldn't be surprised if she grows up to be a librarian.  

Overall, it was my best display so far.  I enjoyed how interactive it was and hope the poetry displays I'm putting up next week are just as interactive.  

No comments:

Post a Comment