Wednesday, August 31, 2022

Time slows by the syllable

Fred Rogers: The Last Interview and Other Conversations by Fred Rogers (Adult Nonfiction)

Though a lot of Fred Roger’s responses weren’t new to me, I still immensely enjoyed this book comprised of six of his last interviews. I most enjoyed each time he asked the interviewers the same questions they asked him. Sometimes he asked additional questions too!

As I read the interviews, I could hear his gentle, warm, and deliberate voice in my head, and like everything else he produced, I was just as comforted. One interviewer, Phil Hoose, writes, “And then the voice arrives and instantly everything is all right. It is a slow voice, offered with modulation and care. There are spaces between words and bigger spaces between sentences…Time slows by the syllable.”

Favorite moments:

Fred Rogers states that his grandfather, Mr. McFeely “was the kind of person who would really support your strivings for autonomy.” Wow, what a beautiful character trait I’ve never really thought about. Who helped me with my strivings for autonomy when I was a child? Who helped you? Every day I feel enormous gratitude to work in a place that provides a safe place for kids to learn, play, and grow. And really, it’s also a perfect place to encourage striving for autonomy too.

Though I’ve heard it before, I never tire of hearing Fred talk about how important it is to share your love for what you do with children or anyone really. He writes, “I think one of the greatest gifts you can give anybody is the gift of your honest self.”

Because I don’t have an early education background, I hadn’t heard of the term, “permissible regression” prior to reading this book of interviews. I’ve been thinking about it a lot and really enjoyed Fred Rogers’ song about it.

Perfect for fans of Fred Rogers or anyone who needs a hug from a book!

* This book is part of a series!

No comments:

Post a Comment