Saturday, August 27, 2022

reviews!

Sharing a few reviews!

You're Not Listening by Kate Murphy (Adult Nonfiction)


Though it took almost 100 pages for me to really sink into this book, I left it with a few aha moments and a handful of ways to think about listening differently.

Moments I enjoyed most: The lump of clay analogy describing what happens when we listen. “…It’s like a game of catch with a lump of clay. Each person catches it and molds it with their perceptions before tossing it back. Things like education, race, gender, age, relationship with the other person, frame of mind, connotations of words, and distractions all influence how the clay is shaped. Add more people to the game of catch and the complexity and range of meanings increases.”

Shift and support responses, which begins on page 137.  I’ve been working on giving more support responses, but it’s tougher than it sounds.  Even though there are times I’m not drawing attention to myself, my support responses can use some help.  For me, it’s helpful to have a name for what I’ve been trying to work on because it’s easier to remind myself.  I also appreciated the ideas for responses and how to phrase responses so that they’re supportive and not full of hidden meanings and agendas (some of which I wasn’t aware of).

I enjoyed Murphy’s brief dip into mishearings on page 164. Though I had a few chuckles about her experiences with mishearings, this section was both sad and helpful because I spend a lot of time with the senior population.  

Though there are many books devoted to our shrinking attention spans, Murphy spends only a chapter on this subject and the role it plays in listening.  The connection between our attention spans and hearing feels substantial and also has the potential for the most growth within my control.  I’ve spent a fair amount of time thinking of ways to grow my attention span, and really I just need to stop picking up my phone so much.  

I appreciated You’re Not Listening and though several chapters could easily be standalone books, I think I got just enough information and practical takeaways so I’m not so overwhelmed during conversations that I’m distracted by what I should be doing…and not listening.

Baby Animals First Colors Book by Alexandra Claire (Board Book)


Such a happy, colorful book with rhyming text that is bold, easy-to-read, and simple. Each color introduces a new animal with opportunities for counting, movement, and discussion – Where is your nose? What do you smile with? How are you different from this animal? What other animals are this color?

* This is part of a series!
* This would make a great storytime book!

Oak Leaf by John Sandford (Picture Book)


A beautifully illustrated journey of an oak leaf enjoying autumn. I felt just like the oak leaf in this story, blowing and swooshing through the sky, changing color, dodging foxes, and resting on a calf’s nose. This book invites the reader to move, make fun sounds, use all of their senses, and become a part of the book, which is exactly what happens to the leaf! 

* This would make a great storytime book!

No comments:

Post a Comment