Thursday, August 11, 2022

librarying

I haven't really talked a lot about library land lately.  It has been busy.  It was wonderful to see so many patrons come in this summer.  It was the happy kind of chaos.  

My library system will be doing in-person storytimes this fall and I feel very fortunate to be giving a family storytime.  I will sharing all my storytime stories soon.

I don't get out too often, but when I do, my work at the library will sometimes come up.  I hear a lot of people ask if I'm sad that books are going away and whether I think the library is in danger of going away too.  They are shocked to hear how busy we are and how there are many people who still need information and books.  How we acquire that information is changing and has always been changing and evolving.  I can go on and on about access to information, community-building, helping kids become lifelong readers etc. etc. but I won't!  What I can do is make sure I'm spreading the word about how awesome libraries are and all the exciting (and sometimes crazy) work I do. 

Here are the things I did at the library today:

* I assessed the meeting room for fall storytime.  So many things to move!  So many drawers without locks to block with tables that will need to be locked.  Most of the outlets were missing covers.  And because there isn't any place for strollers outside the room, I needed to figure out a place for stroller parking.

* I ran through my storytime for the first time to see if it lasted roughly 30 minutes.  Lots of changes to make but I am not surprised.  I also did a little more prep for the storytimes - themes, books, early literacy skills, activities etc.

* I was on the desk for 6.5 hours but not all at once!  I helped a maskless patron print, scan, and email a document to their work stating they had tested positive for Covid today and would be out for several days.  Truly, this happened.  I also helped a few others on the computer, with various questions concerning their materials, and even had a strange audiobook happening.  An audiobook with two different stories spread out through the five discs but still showing the right author and story on all discs.  Publishers make mistakes too!

* While I was on the desk I managed to check my emails, work on program and committee projects, read a stack of picture books, and jot down a couple reviews.

* I tidied books, did several sweeps to keep all the the displays full, and talked to patrons in the stacks.

And because I had the late shift today, two of my favorite patrons, stopped by to share something very special with me when I wasn't here.  But they left me a note and Danny let me borrow his book.  One of the best moments of my week!

It's truly a job with an incredible amount of variety.  Though I have an idea of what I'll be doing each day and a to-do list out the wazoo, each day is completely different.

No comments:

Post a Comment