Tuesday, June 14, 2022

These Silent Woods

These Silent Woods by Kimi Cunningham Grant (Adult Fiction)

Kenny (Cooper) made what was arguably a poor and impulsive decision to abduct his infant daughter, Finch from his in-laws after his wife passed away.  The abduction doesn’t go well, but I won’t spoil it for you by saying anything else.  They hide out in a friend’s cabin for years until something happens that threatens to expose them.  

I felt so conflicted about the main character.  I believe he didn’t deserve to have his child taken away in the first place, but he also abducted her when he realized the court battle could take months and it was unlikely he would be granted custody of his daughter.  This was only one example of why I felt conflicted about him.  I have other reasons, but I don’t want to spoil the book for anyone.  Though I felt conflicted about Cooper, I still cared for him and felt weirdly protective of him.  I’m always so impressed with authors who stir up so many emotions, especially conflicting emotions about characters.  Though there were only a few characters in this book, I really enjoyed all of them, especially Scotland, a neighboring hermit who had an odd way of looking out for Finch and Kenny.  

There was a lot of tension and focus on Cooper’s inner turmoil, which sounds heavy and is heavy, but I was completely invested in the characters, so I couldn’t walk away, no matter how many times I kept getting punched in the gut.  The ending was rather surprising, and though I have many feelings about it, I think it was very fitting.  That’s all I will say!

P.S. This was a pretty good audiobook.  I'm pretty picky about narrators, but Bronson Pinchot did a great job.  Anytime Cooper grew anxious, Bronson conveyed that anxiety well...Sometimes a little too well! 

No comments:

Post a Comment