Thursday, March 4, 2021

Favorite February Reads Part 2

Here and Now by Julia Denos and illustrated by E.B. Goodale (Picture Book) 

Unlike a lot of books that initially confuse me, I was more than happy to read Here and Now several times. The illustrations play with perspective in such a topsy-turvy, soft, and tender way - the giant, almost endless bed where stories and cuddly animals go on forever, feet swinging just above the chaos of stars cut from paper colored with crayons, and an upside-down ant home on the other side of the planet. Like the illustrations, the words are easy to get lost in. I've been unable to think about anything other than cloud bellies for hours now. This is a beautiful book, one that may flummox you, but it's also a book that provides space for kids and adults to think about the exact moment they're living in and how they are connected to everything - from the tiniest ant to the world spinning in the universe. Here and Now will comfort and nourish your senses, and like the author's note says, give you a space for "real-time meditation."

Mandala Stones by Natasha Alexander (Adult Nonfiction)


 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

2021 is looking like it's going to be a crafty year! I picked up this book because I'm hoping to leave some happiness around my neighborhood during my walks and needed some inspiration. Mandala Stones is that and so much more! The mandalas in this book are gorgeous! I completely got lost in the patterns and even added a few to my embroidery ideas folder. Though the mandalas look super hard to paint, the instructions are clear and there's an excellent page listing all of her painting and dotting tools.

The House in the Cerulean Sea by T.J. Klune (Adult Fiction) 



 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

It is only February, but I have just read my favorite book of 2021. Nothing is going to top The House in the Cerulean Sea. Why? Well, besides the fact that it's the most imaginative adult novel I've encountered, it is also an ode to belonging, empathy, acceptance, and caring for one another. 

Linus has no idea what he's missing in life. He is a caseworker for the Department in Charge Of Magical Youth (DICOMY), which is an organization that's supposed to be looking out for the children's best interests, but they are mostly just stirring up fear and prejudice. Linus doesn't know this. He is just doing his job to the best of his abilities and, unlike others in the organization, he really is looking out for the children when he makes his recommendations for whether an orphanage should close or remain open. 

He is chosen for a top-secret, month-long assignment to check on an orphanage with children DICOMY considers more dangerous than other magical youth. Linus doesn't encounter any danger though. What he discovers is home. 

The House in the Cerulean Sea is just as heartwarming as it sounds. There's also the hope of a possible romance between Linus and Arthur, the person who takes care of the kids, but I'm not sure romance is the right word. I think 'soul connection' is much more fitting (cheesy but appropriate I think). There were several times I found myself holding my breath while reading this. I was ready to punch the lights out of anyone who threatened the children's innocence or happiness in any way. Initially I felt very snarly towards Linus, who was so uptight, I was worried he was going to unintentionally do or say something to the children that would hurt them. Linus was also blind to all the beauty and love around him, which was infuriating at times. But he did start to grow on me! 

The characters were, without a doubt, my favorite part of this novel. I saw myself in each of them. I especially connected with Lucy and Sal, who are two of the children under Arthur's care. I think Klune is hoping his readers will do this - see ourselves in each character - and I believe, just like all the hidden and beautiful messages veining this book like gold, that this is Klune's real-life message for empathy, acceptance, and belonging. There are beautiful and empowering messages everywhere and we can all use who we are to be those messages. Bravo, Klune. Also, thank you Klune for keeping Linus round. Some of us are plump and round and we are beautiful that way and do not need to become a different shape to find happiness. Another message! So many beautiful messages! 

I'll leave you with a quote. I think I highlighted nearly every Lucy moment, but here's my favorite: "'...You said it yourself: Lucy wasn't who you expected him to be, which means you already had decided in your head what he was. How can we fight prejudice if we do nothing to change it? If we allow it to fester, what's the point?'"

No comments:

Post a Comment