Sunday, September 1, 2019

Favorite August Reads Part 1

August was a great month for reading so this will be a double post.

Good Night, Mr. Tom by Michelle Magorian (adult fiction)


This bittersweet read took me on a rollercoaster of emotions. It's one of those rare books that completely absorbed me, chewed me up, and then spit me back out still feeling like I'm living in the world it created. Mr. Tom is a wonderful character - caring, attentive, wise, and funny in a grumpy kind of way. He lives in a small town outside London, and takes in Will, a 9 year-old evacuee who has endured horrific abuse at the hands of his mother. Witnessing Will flourish and grow within the cocoon of Mr. Tom's patient love was my favorite thing about this book. When Will first arrives in Little Weirwold, he's scrawny, covered in bruises, doesn't know how to read, wets the bed every night, and is both frightened and awestruck by everything, including Sammy, Mr. Tom's dog. Will blossoms into a talented young artist who attends school, makes friends, and learns how to trust. The author's incredible attention to detail made me feel as if I was living the book. Whether Will was picking blackberries, going on a picnic, or enjoying his first "birthdee," I felt like I was right there with him, enjoying his surprise and delight. The word, "huskily" is used frequently to describe the enormity of emotion behind spoken words and I find myself growing fond of the word. I attempted to describe this book to my husband, and rather than gushing like I normally do, I found it hard to wrap words around how profoundly this book has impacted my life. But I smiled a little when I realized I was huskily describing the beautiful, heartbreaking, and poignant moments of this book.

Forever or a Day by Sarah Jacoby (picture book)


This is one of those books that has grown on me. Every time I see it at the library I can't help but pick it up and flip through the pages. The illustrations are lively and simple (my favorite is the family racing to embrace each other). And the message, though murky at first, emerges clear and poignant pretty quickly. I also really enjoy the language: "Perhaps it is the twitch of a whisker, or a wildly wagging tail..." I'm not going to tell you what 'it' is though! You will have to read this book to find out ; ).

Scraps by Vera Vandenbosch (adult nonfiction)


This book has me jazzed up about crafting. Scraps has a handful of crafts that combine both jewelry and textiles - bangles, cuffs, braided necklaces, lace earrings. I also like how Vandenbosch lets you know the level of the craft and whether or not it requires a sewing machine.

Things that Join the Sea and the Sky by Mark Nepo


Mark Nepo's wisdom helps me organize my thoughts, think about my priorities, and gives me the push I need when I'm not giving my life 100%. This is a great book to have lying around for moments when you need a spark, change of perspective, or you're feeling sluggish. It's comprised of a handful of Nepo's journal entries, which are short so you can read one or more depending on the time you have that day. My favorite moment of this book happens on page 165. Nepo writes about a friend, who is a painter, and how this friend wanted to meet Ted Kooser (one of my favorite poets) while he was in the town where Kooser lives - Dwight, NE. So the painter stopped by Kooser's home and left a note for him. Later, the painter made a painting of a barn he saw while he was visiting Dwight and sent it to Kooser. How cool is that?

Once Upon a Goat by Dan Richards and Eric Barclay


You never know when you need a goat in your life (or an unexpected and delightful surprise that makes you question and reevaluate your priorities), and you can always change for the better if love is the catalyst. I also love a happy ending, especially if it involves goats, and I appreciate what I hope is an attempt to talk about nontraditional families.

No comments:

Post a Comment