Monday, September 2, 2019

August Favorite Books Part 2


Mindful Me by Whitney Stewart (juvenile nonfiction)


Mindful Me is one of those books I can apply to all aspects of my life - family, work, personal growth etc. The journal prompts are my favorite part of this book. I also appreciate how simplified the meditations, definitions, and tips are. Self care vs. selfishness, the definition of neuroplasticity, and replacing negative thoughts with positive thoughts (with examples!) are just a few things I think the author does an exceptional job simplifying. My favorite meditation - sending kindness, is one Robert has kind of already been doing, but we've been calling it his care bear stare. It's basically where you send positivity to someone by imagining a light in your heart (or your belly if you want to do it care bear style) and sending it to a loved one, or for an extra challenge, someone who's been a real crab to you. Mindful Me is a great book for anyone, any age, and I'll be recommending it to everyone.

20th Century Children's Poetry Treasury selected by Jack Prelutsky and illustrated by Meilo So (juvenile nonfiction)


I originally picked this book up to read because of the illustrator, Meilo So, whom I adore. I thought I'd like a few poems but wasn't expecting anything different from the heaps of children's poetry anthologies out there. I am delighted to say I was wrong! First of all, while reading this I realized that because there are so many children's poetry anthologies, an amazing illustrator like Meilo So can make all the difference in the world. Secondly, there were a handful of poems included in this anthology I hadn't read before. My favorite poems were 'At the Library' by Nikki Grimes, 'The Secret Place' by Dennis Lee, 'Some People' by Rachel Field, and 'Dragonfly' by Rebecca Kai Dotlich.

Classic Cookies with Modern Twists by Ellen Jackson (adult nonfiction)


This is a great book for anyone who wants to take a favorite dessert and change it up a bit. For the most part the twists are pretty simple. For example, the chocolate chip cookie recipe calls for an additional tablespoon of maple syrup and/or honey, which adds some complexity. In addition to the chocolate chip cookies, the ginger molasses cookies were the favorites in my house.

A B See by Elizabeth Doyle (board book)


This ABC board book is so captivating and beautiful. Each textured letter is comprised of all kinds of objects that begin with that particular letter and has potential to entertain for hours. I think it's also a great 'look and find' book if a child and grownup read it together. A coworker pointed out that if kids are looking for a bigger challenge they can try to find something with their eyes closed thanks to the slightly raised objects.


No comments:

Post a Comment