Tuesday, September 24, 2019

Toddler Storytime Week One


I'm a little behind on storytimes - yikes!

Toddler storytime was a success the first week. I had a full, happy room for the first theme, "Things that Go."

Hello Song (same as last season): Hello friends, hello friends, hello friends, it's time to say hello.

ADORABLE quieting down fingerplay I stumbled upon at the last minute: Fi Fi Fo Fum



First Book: Wake Up Engines by Denise Dowling Mortensen and Melissa Iwai. This book has been a success every time. Lots of noises we can make together!


 Early Literacy Skill: "Look at the pictures in books and ask your child, what words rhyme with those pictures.? For example, as you read Wake Up Engines, you can ask, what words rhyme with 
'go' or 'toot?'”

Second Book: Freight Train by Donald Crews. 


Early Literacy Skill: "Let’s have fun guessing the types of trains and their colors together!"

Instrument Activities: Just like with Preschool storytime we played with instruments and did the same activities. 

Quieting Down Fingerplay (from last season): Finger Fiddle. Still a big hit.

Third Book: The Wheels on the Tuk Tuk by Kabir Sehgal and  Jess Golden. I put the lyrics up on the screen so that the parents could sing along with me, but I was still surprised when everyone did. This book is so much fun!


Early literacy skill: "The Wheels on the Tuk Tuk has so many fantastic sounds like swish and squish and pop! Select a sound of the day and have fun naming all of your children’s stuffed animals or dolls with names that begin with that day’s sound."

Song (to the tune of Frère Jacques)

I’m an airplane X2
Flying high X2
I can tilt this way X2
In the sky X2
I’m an airplane X2
Flying high X2

I can tilt that way X2
In the sky X2
I’m an airplane X2
In the sky X2
I can make a landing X2
from the sky X2

Hokey Pokey

Goodbye song: Goodbye friends, goodbye friends, goodbye friends, it's time to say goodbye.

No comments:

Post a Comment