Wednesday, May 1, 2019

Favorite April Reads


If I were to pick one word to describe the books I read in April, the word would be, "inspirational."

Enjoy!

Because by Mo Willems and illustrated by Amber Ren (picture book)



An inspirational, sweet story about how one girl grows up to be a musician because of lots of factors including a special, extra ticket to a symphony. I loved the illustrations, especially the moment when the audience grows quiet and the orchestra plays. There's no text on two pages while this happens, and it's a beautiful representation of the anticipation and wonder you feel before something amazing happens. 

Cut Paper Pictures by Clover Robin (adult nonfiction)


I really like how this book takes you through the steps of making collages and the variety of collages you can make. It also uses a mixture of painted papers that you create yourself (a fun activity when your creative juices are muddled and you can't focus on the intricate stuff but you really want to make something) and other found papers like those with print on them. Unlike other books that suggest using photographs as inspiration for collages but then try to exactly replicate the photograph, I felt like this one really took the word "inspiration" to heart. The examples of photographs and the collages that reflect the photographs do not look exactly alike. Instead, there are elements from the photographs that have been exemplified and further enhanced with imagination. This was a terrific eye-opener for me! As soon as I finished reading this book, I was ready to examine my own collage-making processes and dig out some photographs I've tried working with before. I was instantly smitten and completely consumed with inspiration.

Collage Workshop for Kids by Shannon Merenstein (juvenile nonfiction)


This book is a wealth of inspiration! These unique projects use ingenious materials (like coffee sleeves!), and look pretty easy to execute.


Homesick by Jean Fritz (juvenile fiction)


Homesick took me right to Hankow, China during the early twentieth century. Rich details of Jean's adventures like discovering the junk (boat) skeleton and her exhilarating mountain climb to their vacation home in Kuling made this a quick read. I also enjoyed the relationships between the characters and the longing Jean felt to grow up but also still enjoy the joys of being a child. I was so sad when this book ended, because it wasn't enough. I would have liked for this fictionalized memoir to continue into Jean's adult life.

My Cat Looks Like My Dad by Thao Lam (picture book)


My favorite thing about this book is its surprise ending, and I don't want to ruin it for anyone so I'll keep mum about that and talk about how much I love the illustrations. The illustrations are packed with details (including some clues about the ending). They also have a lot of texture and personality. There are patterns galore, endearing facial expressions, and even some cat yoga that makes me squeal with delight whenever I flip to it. My favorite moment in the book (other than the surprise ending) is the part about how much cat and dad love boxes.


Bonus interview with Thao Lam!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment