Wednesday, May 22, 2019

10 Years of Gratitude Journaling Part 5


I remember this day clearly and I look at the hiking pictures almost once a month (I currently have one up at work). Something I didn't mention in my journal, but I still remember clearly, were the bees.  First, it's important to let you know we were hiking in Arizona, which means Africanized bees. Scott and I were climbing up a rocky ledge covered in prickly undergrowth and a few small trees.  Quite suddenly there was a ferocious buzzing sound and Scott and I took off back down the hill like our pants were on fire. Both of us had heard stories of Africanized bees plus Scott had some in his bathroom at one point (I'm not sure if it was before or after this journal entry). Anyways, we may never again move as fast as we did that day.  When we were a good distance away we could still hear a faint humming. It's strange we hadn't noticed it before. I think it's possible we riled them up by getting so close. The fact I didn't record it in my journal means I was either in a big hurry when writing the entry or I was still terrified out of my mind.  

I haven't had my grandmother's cornbread and molasses since 2014, though I've really wanted to make it. It takes a cast iron skillet to make it, which we have, but we've had poor luck seasoning the skillet.     


1 comment:

  1. I had one fly-by while living in the Sonoran desert. Luckily, they had places to buzz, people to scare.

    ReplyDelete