Wednesday, January 2, 2019

this our hymn of grateful praise


If I were to describe my favorite music from 2018 in five words, I would choose uplifting, quirky, introspective, spiritual, and sweet. 2018's list includes a soundtrack I really connected with, one album I checked out from the library on a whim due to its strange name, and as always, a handful of artists I loved prior to this year.  Unlike other years, there is very little rap and wacky stuff. I didn't connect with most of the rap albums released in 2018. They were too serious or monotonous, and a couple favorites of mine even sounded tired. Likewise, a few of my go-to wacky artists who usually produce wild and interesting sounds, sounded too serious and flat, or were trying too hard.  I will refrain from mentioning names, as I understand artists express who they are at the moment their album is made, and if they're feeling like a stick in the mud at that moment, then it's totally understandable when their album sounds like that.

Overall, it is my belief that Christian artists kicked some serious butt this past year. Never have I had so many Christian artists in my top twenty. Because of this, 2018 is a very happy list. 

Here is my top ten list of 2018 albums (and a few 2017 albums I was unable to get my hands on until after the first of the year). Enjoy!



10. Rend Collective - Good News (favorite song - Counting Every Blessing)
9. The Shack Soundtrack (favorite song - Amazing Grace by for KING & COUNTRY)
8. Vance Joy - Nation of Two (favorite song - Take Your Time)
7. Brandi Carlile - By the Way, I Forgive You (favorite song - Every Time I Hear That Song
6. Josh Ritter - Gathering (favorite song - Train Go By)

5. Alt-J - Reduxer


This album punched me in the face (in the best way possible). Alt-J didn't need to remix his songs. They are brilliant on their own.  But he did it.  And it's bizarre and beautiful.  He collaborates with artists I haven't heard of, and they complement each other well.  House of the Rising Sun sounds like a rap lullaby of a family devastated by alcohol. The words are harsh and poetic but the rhythm is soothing and soft and feels like a couple clocks getting together to create some music. The first time I heard it I cried. It feels like I'm reading an entire book in a little under five minutes. The song, Pleader, spotlights the rapper, Sin Suela, and honestly it's just not enough. I'm ready for him to put out an entire album.  I haven't figured out what's going on in the song, but each time I listen to it, I throw 100% of myself into it in the hopes I will finally figure out what the heck is going on.  At about 3:35 minutes in, some kind of magical trap music, video game-sounding, robot hoedown thing happens, and it always makes me light up like a 1000 watt lightbulb made entirely out of incandescent joy. 

4. Lauren Daigle - Look Up Child



Lauren Daigle's voice is soulful, rich, and playful. Her growth as an artist and person is evident on this album, which is always special to witness.  The first time I listened to this album, I wondered if her next album may step away from her religious roots. But after a few more listens, I'm not so sure.  Look Up Child sounds a bit more spiritual than her last album, How Can It Be, which had firm religious roots.  She sounds like she's figuring out who she is and her relationship with both her God and her faith.  Turn Your Eyes Upon Jesus is my favorite song.  Hymns are one of my favorite types of music, and I especially love hearing different variations of them.  Lauren Daigle's version is both pop and jazz, and also reminiscent of Lauryn Hill.   

3. Rainbow Kitten Surprise - How to Friend, Love, Freefall



When I saw this at the library I didn't hesitate. I immediately checked it out and played it in my car.  I was curious - what is a rainbow kitten and isn't the word, 'surprise' redundant?  I mean, I feel like I would be totally surprised if I saw a rainbow kitten. So yes, this band has my new favorite name, and as for their music?  Well, it feels a little like sitting in the middle of a room filled with rainbow kittens. Magical, blissful, trippy, and kinda raucous. They remind me a little of Modest Mouse, but they are definitely their own band.  They're soulful, weird, quirky, and fun.  There's harmony, but there's also mumbling and guitar trash-talking. I love Possom Queen, because it taps into that special place in my heart where Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers live.  Now you understand why there's always pep in my walk!  It's because I've built a house for Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers, who spend their days tapping away the rhythm of my steps.  Possom Queen plays with the song, Let's Call the Whole Thing Off.  You know the song I'm  talking about - "You like potato, I like potahto" with the trumpet acting sassy in the background?  There's also the song, Holy War, with its gentle and and perfectly placed, "Kaboom," which follows a helicopter noise that doesn't overstay its welcome.  It's Called: Freefall has some surprising harmony and Fever Pitch is the perfect song for when you're home alone and want to dance like a weirdo. "Let it simmer. Let it simmer. Simmer down please."  It's such a perfect album. More importantly, Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers are thrilled to have some rainbow kittens to share their afterlives with.

2. Andy Grammer - The Good Parts



This was my go-to happy album this year.  If you are looking for a slice of super-sweet pop pie, this is the perfect album.  Fresh Eyes is a love song about seeing someone for the first time every time (totally and wonderfully gag-worthy) - "you dress up just a little and I'm like, 'oooooh, damn.'" Naturally, it's my favorite song on the album.  It's a great album to dance to, and while it's not necessarily thought-provoking, life-changing, or unique, it's pure ear candy and I had it playing in the background for much of the year.

1. Sara Groves - Abide With Me



There are three things I ask from a Sara Groves' album.  Her voice must stand out, her tunes need to be simple and soft, and the presence of the piano must cling to her voice and words like a shadow. Her last few albums have been pretty loud and have strayed away from the simplicity I so hugely admire in her work.  The Sara Groves on Abide With Me is the Sara Groves I fell in love with on Conversations and All Right Here.  She even sings a song from Conversations, He's Always Been Faithful.  Though it's different and her voice is stronger on Conversations, I love it just as much because it's just so gosh darn cool to hear the same song sung by my favorite artist several years later. Yes, Sara Groves is my favorite artist, and has been since 2004 when her album, Conversations, was given to me by a tennis buddy. I lived in Springfield, Missouri at the time, which is where Sara Groves went to college.  My tennis buddy told me to pay attention to certain songs and lyrics, and they were the exact lyrics I needed to hear at that point in my life.  We all have our spiritual journeys, and listening to Conversations helped turn what was a rather confusing, frustrating, and negative journey into one that felt more comfortable.  Sara Groves gives each hymn sung on Abide With Me her full attention and inner beauty, which lights them up and makes them magical.  These hymns are also recorded in a 110-year-old church, so I'm sure this also has something to do with the magic.  

Here is my favorite song from 2018:

Sara Groves - For the Beauty of the Earth

No comments:

Post a Comment