Wednesday, June 12, 2024

art party

Some very exciting news here!

I had my first artist talk at the Natasha Ria Gallery, where some of my artwork is currently displayed.  Some very special people came, and it was a lot of fun!  I will definitely be on the lookout for more artist talks, because I always have a millions questions like how do they do that?  What's their process?  And on and on.

Here I am with the amazing Natasha, who has been so incredibly helpful with my art journey.  She is one of the warmest and easiest people to talk to.  And she's both an artist and poet too!


I was completely blown away when I looked up and saw one of my favorite people walk in.  Ann has been one of my writing friends for over ten years.  She is the poet I talk about who finds a haiku moment in every day.  She is also 94 years old and one of those people who scoops up all the best stories and shares them in beautiful ways.  We met through a poetry workshop I facilitated at the library over ten years ago, and along with a handful of special people, we have been sharing poetry ever since.  If that isn't one of those library stories about community building that tugs at your heart, then I don't know what will.  Ann is also an artist!  She painted many watercolors and has an eye for beauty.  Just look at her blouse, which is like a watercolor painting come to life!




In the picture below, Ann's daughter, Carol is to the left.  She's a passionate art and library supporter.  And on the right is Octavia, one of my favorite people I work with.  My world truly revolves around the library, and I've been so fortunate to meet some of my favorite people through the library.  With so much up in the air now with where I'll be working in the next six months, I recognize how good the library has been for me for the last fourteen years.  Even as I'm beginning to explore this new world of displaying art, the library is present in everything and everyone in my life.



Robert has been so jazzed about all my art endeavors.  He sometimes has even more enthusiasm than me!  He has been asking the best questions, helping me with both practical and artistic questions, and providing so much support.  I am excited he's on this journey with me.  His face here says everything I just said and then some.  


Lastly, I just wanted to let you all know I was selected as one of the emerging artists for the Lawrence Art in the Park in September!  It will be my first time participating in an artist fair, and I am so incredibly excited and nervous!  I hope to see lots of familiar faces and soak up all the inspiration and beauty.  I was so delighted to discover Lawrence Art in the Park's emerging artist program, because it will be a good way to dip my toes into the art fair community, learn how to set up a booth, and get those coveted booth photos I need to apply for future fairs if I decide to do so.  I also have the joy of sharing my booth with another emerging artist, which will also be a relief.  I'm a huge fan of the buddy system, especially when I'm new to something.  I hope this person is looking forward to an enthusiastic art buddy for two days!  

No comments:

Post a Comment