Tuesday, April 23, 2024

My Owl Soulmate & Collecting Wonder

What's New Daniel by Micha Archer (Picture Book)











I love the Daniel books! Archer has a knack for encouraging her readers to look for the extraordinary in everyday moments simply by observing each moment and connecting to them through our senses. Her illustrations are phenomenal and incredibly vibrant with layers and layers of beauty.








Owl at Home by Arnold Lobel (Early Reader)












I am one of the few people who simply does not get the Frog and Toad books. The illustrations are magical, but I feel pretty meh about the stories. 

Owl at Home, however, nearly moved me to tears. I found both myself and loved ones in these short stories. And the stories so eerily resonated with my own feelings! How does an Early Reader book know me so well??? I know others feel the same way I do, because this book was a recommendation from a dear patron. She knew the "Tear-Water Tea" story by heart. That particular story is poetry at its finest. 

"Upstairs and Downstairs" was both a metaphor for SO much and also like looking into the mind of my dog. "The Guest," which is the first story, gave me goosebumps because it so perfectly describes a situation I find myself mired in at this very moment. There was a flicker of peace for me when Owl said goodbye to the unwanted guest, Winter. "Owl made a new fire in the fireplace. The room became warm again. The snow melted away. The hard, green ice turned back into soft pea soup. Owl sat down in his chair and quietly finished his supper." 

Wow, I am totally gobsmacked by this book. I will definitely be picking up more books by Arnold Lobel.

No comments:

Post a Comment