Thursday, December 30, 2021

Both sides of the coin

On the children's side of the library today:

A kid approached me and asked how many books he could check out on his library card.

I started to give my usual spiel - tell the kid that the limit was 150 books BUT he needed to check with his grown-up too.

He only heard the number before running off.

The next thing I heard was, "Hey mom, how many books do you think we can fit in the car?"


On the grown-up side of the library today:

A middle-aged patron asked for help printing a map and address. 

"I'm going on the first date I've been on in years.  I want to put the address in my bible for a keepsake."

😮 

Creepy? Hopeful? Sweet?  All of the above?

Before he could jinx the date any further (or say anything else that was awkward), I helped him send the document to the printer and hurried away.

But he had one more question.

"Is there any way you can spare a nickel?"

I found a nickel in the change jar at the desk and handed it to him.

He went to pay for the document and I breathed a sigh of relief.

But my sigh of relief came too soon.

He gave me a big smile and said, "I'm so lucky.  I hope you get lucky tonight too."

His face immediately turned a dark shade of red as he realized what he just said.

As an equally awkward person, I had no quick save or any words of comfort to offer, only a cough as I tried not to laugh.  I made a beeline to the stacks to "straighten books" while he made a beeline for the door.

No comments:

Post a Comment