Thursday, December 2, 2021

An ordinary day at the library took a decidedly dark turn

Today, when I asked a patron to verify the spelling of his email address, which had the word 'chop' in it, he said, "you know chop - like chopping up bodies." 😨

Later, while talking to a kid about Pokémon, he suddenly said, "do you want to hear a riddle?"  

"Sure!" I replied.  Anything to stop talking about Pokémon.

I didn't say that last part.

So the kid says, "what is greater than God, more evil than the devil, the poor have it, the rich don't need it, and if you eat it, you die?"

Before I could say anything, his face grew somber and he asked, "Do you know who's worse than the devil?"

He had my attention.  And my concern!  I nodded at him to continue.

He paused before leaning in to whisper, "my brother's girlfriend."

He was so serious, which made it almost impossible to control my laughter.  Thankfully my mask hid my face!

No comments:

Post a Comment