Tuesday, December 1, 2020

Favorite November Reads Part 1

I read some great books in November and have a few I'm not quite done with yet (Vesper Flights, Kooser's latest book of wonder and magic, and Eat Joy) that will probably be on my December list. This will be a double post!

The Poetry of Impermanence, Mindfulness, and Joy edited by John Brehm (Adult Nonfiction)

This is an excellent collection of poems. My favorite was an A.R. Ammons poem I hadn't seen before: 

Reflective

"I found a
weed
that had a

 mirror in it
and that
mirror 

looked in at
a mirror
in me that had a weed in it"

Textiles Transformed by Mandy Pattullo (Adult Nonfiction)

I love the idea of taking old quilts and half-finished pieces of textile art, often found at flea markets and thrift stores, and reviving them. I've got a stack of old textiles to play with and Textiles Transformed is full of ideas and techniques. I love how she shows the process of making the wren seen on the cover. It just goes to show I don't use nearly enough pins or have quite the level of patience needed for itty bitty patchwork. If you need a gentle nudge of textile art inspiration or are looking for ways to save those lovely textile pieces lying at the bottom of a neglected cedar chest, this is the perfect read for you!

How to Solve a Problem written by Ashima Shiraishi and illustrated by Yao Xiao (Nonfiction Picture Book)

When I saw this book in the catalog I had a 'what the what' moment. A picture book not only about a rock-climbing champion, but also written by that same person? What a fantastic way to inspire kids to try new things. I have climbed exactly one rock wall, and it wasn't a noteworthy experience. I am so jazzed up after reading this, I've put going to a rock wall gym at the top of my list of things to do once we're free to roam again in a post-Covid-19 world. Shiraishi's approach to climbing is also surprisingly poetic: "One part was arched like a question mark, another part stuck out like my father's elbow in a photo I have seen of him dancing, and another was shaped like the bolts of fabric stacked in my mother's sewing room." Shiraishi's problem-solving method is a great way for readers to evaluate their own personal problems - breaking up the problem into smaller sections and then thinking about how to tackle each section. I am so deeply impressed with this book and plan on recommending it to everyone I talk to. 

The Handmade Charlotte Playbook (Adult Nonfiction)

The Handmade Charlotte Playbook is a smorgasbord of ideas and fun. It's arranged alphabetically for easy access. So if you're ready to make a banana puppet made out of aluminum foil, you'll find it in seconds. In addition to banana puppets, you will find everything from papier-mâché potatoes to a unicorn puppet to an occasional recipe such as zucchini cupcakes with lemon and blueberries. I will probably start by making a banana puppet or two for storytimes and then see what my existing supplies can make. I plan on using this book for storytimes, STEAM ideas, gifts, and interactive displays/crafts once we are able to interact again.

Gustavo the Shy Ghost by Flavia Z. Drago (Picture Book)


I have never loved a ghost as much as I love Gustavo. And just so you know how serious my Favorite Ghosts list is, Snicket's Goldfish Ghost and Sir Simon and his adorable ghost tushy are right at the top. Gustavo wants what we all want - friends and a feeling of connection and belonging. And because he's such a sweetheart and has all the makings to be a good friend - kindness, sincerity, courtesy etc. there's definitely a happy conclusion to this story. When Gustavo tries to get close to the monsters he wishes so badly to be friends with I laughed so hard I nearly cried. It is one of the best picture book spreads I've seen this year. The illustrations are hilarious, richly detailed, charming, and full of emotion. The illustrations do get a little busy at times but will provide hours of entertainment because there is so much to see. The font is also large, simple, and easy-to-see. If I ever get the chance to meet Gustavo I will give him an invisible hug and ask him to play the violin for me. I hope he glows with happiness and wants to be my friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment