Sunday, August 16, 2020

Ok


I don't have a lot to write about these days and some days I'm ok with this. Other days I feel a bit concerned I'm not keeping my mind and eyes open.

I think traveling gives us a new perspective, experiences we haven't had, which gives us back our childlike wonder. There have been a few moments when I start to miss the adventures we used to go on, the weekends we took off for some exotic place like Nebraska or Arkansas. I usually scold myself for this because my family is incredibly fortunate. We have been healthy, working mostly from home with all the comforts we sometimes take for granted - adequate shelter, air conditioning, jobs, and enough space in our home to get away from each other for our work. I often think about folks who came to the library for all of these things before the pandemic, and I feel equally grateful and guilty. 

Most days I am content to remain hunkered down and away from people while we get this virus figured out. I know too many people who are at risk, people I adore and already fret over because of their ages and illnesses. I know people who are struggling with the complications from the virus weeks after they contracted it. 

I recognize I'm very much an introvert so that's working in my favor too. Pre-pandemic I would go for walks and find myself turning in a completely different direction when I saw another person. I still do this, especially when I'm attempting to take a people break. Pre-pandemic I went from taking days off work because I needed a break from people. Now I work almost every day due to programming and telephone reference, and though it's more exhausting to provide services and programs for patrons in a virtual environment, I have more opportunities to take breaks from people, small chunks of time I can get away. 

Rachel is still set to go back to her university soon, but we've heard stories of schools changing their minds the day before students move back to their dorms. Rachel is more than ready to leave, but Robert and I are nervous about her going. School is such a sticky wicket! 

Izzy is doing well. She is in a long-term care facility and we have no idea when she's going to start school or how it's going to work. We talk to her almost every day and visited with her last week (while social distancing). We're still waiting for answers that may not exist. It's a one-day-at-a-time journey.

But like I said, not a lot is going on here. Today I think I'm ok with that.

No comments:

Post a Comment