Monday, August 17, 2020

creepy librarian lady


Last week I covered a desk shift at a different library branch, and I had exactly two patron interactions during my four-hour shift. Thankfully I had a lot of work to keep me busy, but I did feel a little unapproachable in the weird librarian-in-a-closet set up they had at the branch.

Can this children's questions desk be any less approachable? 

Maybe if it were in a white van out in the parking lot.

I was a little worried someone was going to walk by, see me, and then promptly piss themselves, or worse, have a heart attack.

Though patrons couldn't find me to ask for assistance I couldn't give, there was always somebody in the children's area during those four hours. So I spent the whole four hours making loud keyboard clacking noises, whistling, and squeaking my chair so I wouldn't scare the crap out of anyone. I'm sure I looked and sounded a little deranged. Especially when I backed myself into a corner of the closet and attempted to eat half an apple out of a Tupperware container without touching it or breathing.

It was hard work being a creepy librarian lady hiding in the closet all night. I was hungry.

1 comment:

  1. Is eating half apples w/o touching or breathing the container a new game? I especially like the image of backing into a corner prior to beginning...it lends an especially arachnaphoidal dimension.

    Prepping for Halloween, are you?

    ReplyDelete