Tuesday, August 13, 2019

Scarlet Zen


I started this doodle at the airport while we waited to take off for London. I stitched any time I needed a break from the constant excitement or whenever we waited in lines or for transportation. I stitched most of the 12 hour flight back home, and when my back problems began, I stitched whenever I could sit up. It is a weirdly sentimental piece.


I try to always have a zen project going (collage, drawing, embroidery). For me a zen project is a piece of art that doesn't require any decisions to be made while I work on the piece. I randomly select the color of thread and do the same pattern over and over again. This is how I meditate. I can disappear into a zen project for hours and it helps me clean up some of the clutter in my mind and spirit. 

I particularly enjoy zen embroidery because I use only thread scraps from other projects that I keep in a special box. It's like watching past projects emerge but only through their colors.

No comments:

Post a Comment