Thursday, August 1, 2019

Favorite July Reads Part 1


July was a great month for reading so this will be a double post.

The Poetry Pharmacy edited by William Sieghart (adult nonfiction)


Though I think Sieghart's prescriptions are lackluster and sometimes cheesy, I still think this is an excellent anthology with poets I'm familiar with (Mary Oliver and Rumi) and poets I haven't heard of (Izumi Shikibu). Shikibu's poem was one of my favorites: "Although the wind blows terribly here, the moonlight also leaks between the roof planks of this ruined house."

Truman by Jean Reidy and Lucy Ruth Cummins (picture book)


A turtle and his girl, it's a beautiful thing. I love how Sarah kisses her finger, touches his shell and whispers, "be brave." The illustrations are bright, cozy, and do a great job showing a house from a turtle's perspective (I felt exactly like a turtle as I stared up at the window, which was so far away). Truman's brave and proud faces were spot on as well. The ending is quite sweet and I couldn't help but do a little 'Yay for Truman' dance.


Leila in Saffron by Rukhsanna Guidroz and illustrated by Dinara Mirtalipova (picture book)


The illustrations are detailed and warm, the message about searching for the best parts of yourself in the similarities you share with your loved ones is beautiful, and Leila's grandma is just about the most adorable picture book grandma ever. My favorite moment is Leila's response to her self-doubt - "Sometimes I'm not sure if I like being me. When I look in a mirror, I see skinny arms and knobby knees...Tonight I'm on the lookout for parts of me that I like..."

The Wall in the Middle of the Book by Jon Agee (picture book)


I was about halfway through this book when I realized the water was rising on one side of the wall. Sneaky sneaky! I had to read it several times to absorb all the details, which is great news. I plan on sharing this with the preschoolers in my storytime this fall. I just know there's going to be at least one kid who notices all the strange things happening. The only downside of this book is that I've got that Johnny Cash song - "Five Feet High and Rising" - stuck in my head.

No comments:

Post a Comment