Sunday, December 2, 2018

November Reads Part 2


The Wheels on the Tuk Tuk by Kabir Sehgal and illustrated by Surishtha Sehgal and Jess Golden (picture book)


I read this book seconds before a storytime when I had planned to sing The Wheels on the Bus. And I am SOO happy I did. I couldn't just add the book at the last minute, but I did tell everyone we were going to add a verse. I told them what the verse was - "the people on the bus go bobble, bobble, bobble" and showed them my interpretation of bobbling, which is what I now affectionately call the "waddle sit." Their reaction was hilarious. They loved it as much as I do. I cannot wait to use this book in a future storytime. The sounds and words are fun, unique, and will definitely inspire interesting conversations. This book is also super interactive. The first time I read it, I was driving, mooing, jumping up and down, and doing my new bobble move.


With a Friend by Your Side by Barbara Kerley (easy nonfiction)



This delivers a double punch of awesomeness - a positive, easy-to-understand message and beautiful pictures depicting people of all ages who live all over the world.

STEP Into Storytime by Saroj Nadkarni Ghoting (adult nonfiction) 



Each storytime plan walks the reader through an entire storytime, from the welcome song to saying goodbye. Each plan also includes an early literacy tip, which is like finding treasure. I really like the way Ghoting words her early literacy tips.


The Hen Who Sailed Around the World by Guirec Soudée (easy nonfiction)


The only bad thing I can say about this book is that there's not enough pictures. I want a day-by-day chicken diary. My favorite moment was when he said his hen, Monique, didn't like his music, she would give him a look that said, "Guirec! Are you serious?" I had a golden retriever who gave me this look when I listened to rap music.


Above, Monique is wearing a sweater made out of Guirec's winter gloves.

1 comment:

  1. A video of The Bobble!! We want a video of The Bobble!

    A neighbor who was an elementary teacher would, at Halloween, require a "trick" from the children. She had several including songs and encouraging a group scream, but -- this was back before all the problems -- the favorite of all was "shake yer booty." The kids had to turn their butts to her and shake/wiggle their bottoms. Nowadays this would be unheard of, but many were her students, knew her, told their friends and everyone felt safe. The interesting thing, or take-away (as they now say) was the kids LOVED it!

    ReplyDelete