Wednesday, December 26, 2018

finding our stride

Late November I started training the puppies on the dual leash, which is the leash that allows both of them to be walked at the same time.  Walking two high-energy puppies is a bit crazy, but they're doing really well.  Last week Margo joined me for my style of hiit (high-intensity interval training), and she actually did better than she does on a walk. Though I walked them both right before the hiit, Margo still had another poopy in her.  That was the toughest part - jogging with a bag of stinky.

While I developed a poop plan for the next hiit, Robert and I took the dogs to an easy hiking place on Sunday.  Robert suggested I try jogging with both of them.  This sounded absolutely nuts so naturally I decided to try it.  The puppies loved it. Plus they did an excellent job - stayed to one side, didn't get distracted, and had zero tangles with the dual leash.  


So it's official.  I have dogs who like to jog.  We did a a hiit on Monday and tested out the poop plan - walking to the nearest trash can and picking up the workout from that spot.  It's extra work, but nowhere near the amount of effort it takes to walk them and squeeze in a hiit afterwards.

Because I'm constantly changing speeds, I feel like there's little time for the puppies to make mischief. When we're walking for a stretch they look at me quizzically, as if they're saying, "hey lady when are we going to take out again?" Josie has an unending reserve of energy and makes the best faces while we are jogging. Margo doesn't seem to struggle as much with which way to go around poles when we're jogging, which has been a source of much aggravation during walks.  It appears we are finding our stride.

One thing I'm still trying to figure out is how have more speed variety. I used to have four speeds - run, jog, walk, meditative walk.  With the puppies, I can only manage two speeds - walk and jog. Running will take time and trust.  And meditative walking may just be bust until they're worn out (which hasn't happened yet).  

Yesterday I took them for a regular walk while Rachel pulled Ella in her wagon and a pair of joggers passed us.  The puppies saw this and started jogging after them.  We had a pretty good laugh about this.

I think this will be good for all of us.  I just need patience and possibly some extra energy, which I'm sure I have.  I just need to find it.

No comments:

Post a Comment