Friday, November 2, 2018

October Favorites Part 1


I read a lot of great books in October so this will be a double post.  Enjoy!

The Smoke of Horses by Charles Rafferty (adult nonfiction)


Favorite poems and lines: 

From Grackle - "I have always believed that if I jumped out that window I would turn into grackles before hitting the sidewalk." 

From Unnoticed - "The anniversary of some future sadness passes every day unnoticed...In every house, there's a dead mouse in the wall that the living mice build their nest beside." 

Other favorite poems I will read again and again are Carp, Drift, and Quarry.

I Will Not Eat You by Adam Lehrhaupt and illustrated by Scott Magoon (picture book)


A charming, heartwarming tale about a terrifying creature who is really just a softie with a dry sense of humor. The eyes peering out of the cave are rather frightening, but once the creature comes out of the cave, he's really quite friendly and beautiful. I love the illustrations, especially the flashlight and the page where the boy falls down. My favorite line, which comes from the creature, is, "...it's hard to eat someone when you're sharing a laugh."

I am Actually a Penguin by Sean Taylor and illustrated by Kasia Matyjaszek (picture book)


This is so imaginative and fun. The little girl uses toilet paper as snow, has her brother toss fish sticks into her "beak" and is not only a penguin, but anything she wants to be, thanks to her unwavering belief in who she actually is.


No comments:

Post a Comment