Sunday, December 28, 2014

The Princess Diaries by Meg Cabot



While the plot closely followed the movie - I watched the movie first, at least 20+ times so far, to be exact - the book grandma, or pardon me, grandmere, is no Julie Andrews. Even though I was appalled by the book version of Mary Poppins (another grump who was turned into a sweetheart by Julie Andrews), I actually found the egotisitical, chain-smoking book grandmere to be delightful, and I especially like what happens to her at the end of the first book. 

Mia happens to be freaking hilarious in an angsty, snarky woe-is-me kind of way. She also abuses the heck out of italics and capital letters, which totally works for her, and I'm not just saying this because of how much I LOVE italics and capital letters. And she is a very lovable girl so I was constantly pulling my hair and biting my nails in response to all of her woes. 

Even if you find that this book is not your cup of tea or sidecar, you must flip to Mia's list of The Ten Women I Admire Most in the Whole World. And if you shoot me an email I can send you a beautiful rainbow spread of Hilary Clinton in all her pantsuit glory courtesy of a page I ripped from an Oprah magazine a few years back. 

I will leave you with some angst, courtesy of Mia.

"Hmm, hold on a minute, let me see... My mom is going out with my Algebra teacher, a subject I'm flunking, by the way; my best friend hates me; I'm fourteen years old and I've never been asked out; I don't have any breasts; and oh, I just found out I'm the princess of Genovia. 'Oh, sure, " I said to Principal Gupta. 'Everything is fine.'"

No comments:

Post a Comment