Sunday, August 20, 2023

Romance & Beetles

My latest collage has completely consumed me and all of my free time the last few weeks.  Today I finished it!  No pictures yet, because I haven't sealed it, but I have some other lovely things to share.

Last weekend Robert and I travelled to Hermann to be a part of his sister Abby's proposal.  She said yes!  It was a special weekend with a lot of family time, relaxing, and drinking copious amounts of sparkling grape juice.  

On the way to Hermann (but not really on the way), we stopped to see dad, who was having a garage sale.  It was a short and hot visit, but so good to see him.

Robert and I stayed at the Inn at Hermanoff, which was adorable.  The room was beautiful and quiet, and I enjoyed the rare opportunity to stay in a Bed & Breakfast.

Robert and I had a little time to walk around town the evening we drove in.  Everything was closed (a lot of shop hours are 10-2), but we enjoyed the beautiful town and all the interesting architecture and gardens.  Mostly we enjoyed watching this squirrel lay down and eat a peach.  

Robert's sister, Abby got engaged.  Her now fiancé, with the help of project coordinator, Jennifer (sister) planned a really thoughtful proposal that included a dozen family members from Texas, Kansas, Missouri, and Washington D.C.  

From left (here we go!): Me, Robert, Lou (Jennifer's boyfriend), sister Jennifer, Riley (Teddy's fiancé - they just got engaged about a month ago), brother Teddy, Joseph (the mastermind of this family gathering and Abby's fiancé), sister Abby, Suzy (mom of Jennifer, Abby, and Teddy), Doris (Joseph's mom), Felipe (Joseph's stepdad), Larry (dad of Jennifer, Abby, Teddy, and Robert), and Larry's wife, Ruth.  Whew!

We visited three wineries in one day and were easily the biggest crowd of people in Hermann.  That's a whole lot of love and support for two very special people.  So cheesy and sweet and wonderful.

All the siblings and their partners:

While we were in Hermann I gave Jennifer a gift I've been working on for a couple years.  

I spent a ridiculous amount of time finding beetley beads and buttons.  I spent even more time sewing them on.  And then it took an expert time to frame it.  Definitely the longest I've spent with an embroidery piece.      

If you're wondering about that déjà vu feeling you're having, it's because this is the second beetle I've made Jennifer.  She may be having regrets about telling me she loves beetles.  But no matter, she's too nice to say anything.  It's only a matter of time before I find a bead that looks like the perfect beetle head...

No comments:

Post a Comment