Friday, May 7, 2021

Favorite April Reads Part 1

 I'm a few days late posting my favorite April Reads but there's been a lot going on here.  I started working at the library more beginning this week (fun!) and have been spending a lot of time outside soaking up all the beautiful weather before it gets humid and sticky here.  But there is always time for reading, and I read a lot of great books in April - so many great books this will be two posts.

Sugar in Milk by Thrity Umrigar and illustrated by Khoa Le (Picture Book)


Sugar in Milk is a beautifully illustrated Parsi legend I hadn't heard of prior to reading this. Though it's wordy, the story completely consumed me. I love the line, "And all people speak the language of laughter." At the end of the story the girl decides to keep a packet of sugar in her pocket to remind her to sweeten the lives of others. It's such a great message and a wonderful conversation to share with loved ones.

The Magic of Sleep by Vicky Woodgate (Picture Book - Nonfiction)


Lots of fascinating facts about sleep - everything from the different kinds of sleeping positions and percentage of sleepers who sleep each way to the history of sleep. I enjoyed the history, myths, and legends chapter the most. I learned that the Aboriginal people of Australia believe dreaming is when past, present, and future coexist. I really enjoyed the layout of this book. The information is concise and interesting and though there are a lot of illustrations, this isn't one of those fact books that's so cluttered you have a headache after reading two pages. The illustrations of the cat throughout the book are adorable, especially on the pages listing jobs where people stay up at night - who doesn't love an astronaut kitty? I think I enjoyed the illustrations of the cat just as much as learning all about sleep!

The Boy and the Gorilla by Jackie Azúa Kramer and illustrated by Cindy Derby (Picture Book)


A strange but important story about a boy who confides in a gorilla who appears after his mom dies. The gorilla's true identity is hazy and out-of-focus like the illustrations, which mimic the boy's feelings. The illustrations are really something else. It's as if the boy's grief has come alive through all of his surroundings. The grief, though consuming, is flecked with red, which symbolizes both his mother's presence and possibly joy or hope for the future. These are just my interpretations though. I think each reader will walk away with different experiences based on their own journeys through grief. I think this is a great read for any child who has questions after the loss of a loved one and needs the comfort of a wise and lovable gorilla.

The Hike by Alison Farrell (Picture Book)


The moment I saw the Mary Oliver poster on the first page of this book I knew it was going to be an excellent read. Along with their dog, three kids set out on a hike full of surprises, beauty, and wildlife. One of the kids, Wren, keeps a sketchbook of everything they see on their hiking adventure. In addition to the story, each page is packed with the names of many things you would see in the woods if you're lucky (everything from glacial striations on a rock to a banana slug). The illustrations are beautiful and even though Farrell has packed both a story and a lot of information into such a short picture book, it is completely absorbing and not cluttered at all. Wren's sketchbook at the end was another favorite moment for me. I think Wren's sketchbook will encourage lots of young readers to create their own nature journals if they haven't already. There's also another poetry reference - Richard Wilbur's Barred Owl poem - on the very first page of Wren's sketchbook, which makes my heart so happy. One barred owl is asking, "Who Cooks for you? Who Cooks for you?" while his owl buddies are wondering why she keeps asking because no one ever cooks for them. I'm sure there are other hidden treasures in this book, and I can't wait to find them each time I pick up this book to reread it. If you are looking for a book you can stare at for hours or one where you find something different each time you read it, this is the book for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment