Wednesday, July 1, 2020

Favorite June Reads



My library reopened a little over a week ago, which was good news for me because I had run out of physical books some time ago and was on the last few ebooks and eaudio books on my digital list. One thing I haven't been able to read since March have been picture books. Those just don't exist in digital format and it's really not the same in the few cases that they do. As soon as the library opened I placed holds on both my personal and professional library cards and also Robert's. We have a limit of 30 items per card, and that's just not enough for me right now. I've been spending a large amount of time since the reopening surrounded by picture books and drinking lots of tea. It's really one of the best ways to spend time. Like lots of other libraries, my library has been quarantining books for 72 hours, and lovingly cleaning each book before it enters my home has gone from this sporadic thing I did to part of the reading routine. Here are my June favorites - enjoy!

Alphabreaths by Christopher Willard and illustrated by Daniel Rechtschaffen (Picture Book)


Great for picking a couple breathing exercises at a time or mixing them in with some yoga. The instructions for each exercise are simple, beautifully illustrated, and a lot of fun to try. Favorites include alligator breath, cake breath, gratitude breath, teddy bear breath, and voice breath.


Nana Akua Goes to School by Tricia Elam Walker and illustrated by April Harrison (Picture Book)


The story is heartwarming and inspirational. To take an insecurity in oneself/family and turn it into this beautiful thing that can connect others gives me such a feeling of hope. The illustrations are some of the best I've ever seen. I've never picked up a book so many times. Each time I pick it up I feel like I'm a part of its story and completely lose myself in its powerful message and illustrations.


Green on Green by Dianne White and illustrated by Felicita Sala (Picture Book)


A sing-songy book about all seasons. The illustrations are lovely, the words are easy to read and understand, and there are so many opportunities to talk about colors and how we experience the seasons with our families. I can't wait to read it at storytime.


No comments:

Post a Comment