Sunday, June 28, 2020

can you spot the barred owls?


Since early spring it's been a bit like a search and find book here, except it's real life. We have two owls who hang out around our house for several days at a time before disappearing somewhere else for a few days. They're definitely tougher to find now that it's summer but each morning and evening I still search the trees for them. They're more tolerant of me now than they were last year. They'll let me watch them if I don't make any sudden movements like blinking. If I'm inside they still know I'm watching them. They'll make eye contact every few minutes, taking turns searching for prey and warning me not to open the door that separates us. If I open the door they don't leave immediately. They'll hunker down, pre-flight, shoot me the most scathing look, pop back up again and then hunker down again before flying away. If you've never been chewed out by a barred owl before, let me tell you it is equal parts delightful, hilarious, and shameful. 

I can't take very good shots due to my pact with them to mostly leave them alone, whether that's suddenly freezing if I see them while I'm outside or keeping the door closed if I'm inside, but here are a few pictures and videos.












1 comment:

  1. You are so blessed to have these wonderful crotchety curmudgeons as neighbors.

    ReplyDelete