Thursday, September 20, 2018

treasure


My brother, Jason, visited last weekend!  And we had so much fun!  We took the puppies and Ella out for walks and wagon rides.  

Ella definitely won the cute contest with this picture.  It was pretty close, but in the end the puppies just didn't make the cut.



We visited one of my favorite parks that has a small but wonderful garden.



Like they always say - one person's gnawed-on tomatoes is another person's treasure.



We also visited the Nelson-Atkins Museum of Art and stumbled upon the Native American Cultural Celebration, which just happened to be going on the day we visited.  We were very fortunate to observe a glorious, enchanting, and moving live music and dance performance that will forever live on in my heart.

And AND we crossed something off my bucket list.  Jason and I finally, finally visited the Arabia Steamboat Museum.  For a long time I knew of the excavation and museum but didn't really grasp just how amazing it was.  Then I read The Book.  Yes, The Book.  Oh how I loved Treasure in a Cornfield, which recounts the excavation journey of the Arabia steamboat.  The museum was everything I hoped for and more. Jason loved it.  The best moment happened when Jerry Mackey, one of the men who excavated the steamboat, appeared out of nowhere and recited from memory Fair Charlotte (and yes, there is an absolute perfect Charlotte Doll on display at the museum). I was totally starstruck. I definitely gushed and made him feel uncomfortable, but what an honor to meet him!



Thanks for a great visit, Jason!



1 comment:

  1. I really enjoyed meeting Jason. Thanks so much for including me.

    ReplyDelete