Saturday, May 19, 2018

lego extravaganza


While planning summer and fall activities for the teen club at my library branch, someone told me another branch had some giant legos.  I asked the teens if they were interested in making something with the legos, and their answer was a resounding yes.

This month was our lego month and while they ate their pizza, which the library supplies every month, I asked them to brainstorm ideas for what they wanted to do with the giant legos.  Everyone agreed they wanted to make a display for lego-themed books (another branch did this and it was awesome).  I was really surprised by how motivated they were.  They had to drag all the legos from our YS program room out into the public area, move furniture around, and then figure out how to make something that wouldn't fall over.  Then they had to find the books and help me figure out which pictures to tape to the structure.  The only thing I had to do was tell them to lower their voices a few times.  It was easy as pie and they had a lot of fun.

The best moment happened at the end. We had maybe five minutes left, which really wasn't enough time to pick out lego-themed books and movies. I told them I could take care of it if they needed to go. They completely ignored me and raced to the catalog station to find some lego stuff. One teen has a little brother who loves legos, so she went looking for his favorite lego books. I must admit my heart melted just a bit as I watched them racing around, grabbing things to fill the display.



No comments:

Post a Comment