Wednesday, May 2, 2018

April Reads Part Two


Here is part two of my favorite April books:

Hello Lighthouse by Sophie Blackall (picture book)


Wow, what a beautiful and captivating story! I love Sophie Blackall (Finding Winnie is my favorite of hers) so I had a feeling I would love Hello Lighthouse. The illustrations are phenomenal - detailed and rich with unique perspectives. I love how Blackall portrays the layers of the lighthouse, each floor a different room, with the water pump on the bottom floor. Even when Blackall isn't portraying something vital to the story, she uses the water to add texture to the background of the pages in different ways - peaks, ripples, and waves of all sizes. It's clear she enjoys her craft, and because she does, her attention to detail elevates Hello Lighthouse to an extraordinary and magical level.


Peter & Ernesto: A Tale of Two Sloths by Graham Annable (juvenile graphic fiction)


Peter & Ernesto is the funny, beautiful, and super sweet tale of the special friendship between two very different sloths. Ernesto, a sloth with a nomadic soul, decides to take a journey, and with a bit of trepidation, his scaredy sloth friend decides to find him and bring him back. The sloth expressions are dynamite and convey so many relatable emotions. The illustrations are clever, the font easy-to-read, and the space within each panel uniquely utilized and never cluttered.


Wake Up! by Helen Frost and Rick Lieder (picture book, children's poetry)


The photographs in "Wake Up!" are my new favorites by Rick Lieder. The shadow of a praying mantis blows my mind. Unlike earlier collaborations between Frost and Lieder, I think the text and images marry nicely throughout the book. Frost's rhyming is simple and sing-songy and perfect for storytime.


From the Heart of Africa compiled by Eric Walters (children's nonfiction)


I'm a sucker for aphorisms so I knew I was going to like this book. After reading it I have decided I absolutely love it! There is so much beauty and strength in these aphorisms and I was delighted to see a few I hadn't heard of. I was also impressed by both the bold font and gorgeous illustrations and enjoyed the brief bio of each illustrator at the end of the book. Also included is a brief explanation of each aphorism's origin.


A Teacup Collection by Molly Hatch (adult nonfiction)


I didn't know I had a love for teacups until I saw a watercolor teacup in Susan Branch's memoir, "A Fine Romance," which was a moody black teacup. Now it's becoming apparent that I may be slightly obsessed with them. I've been doodling them, googling them, and even attempted an embroidery piece with a made-up teacup that sorta bombed. When I saw this book I had a hunch it was going to make me cry with happiness, and I was right. Oddly enough, what I love most are the irregularities and imperfections of each watercolor teacup. My favorites are the ones with creepy crawlies and the German teacup with a human head on its handle. I have also been enjoying looking up the artists of each teacup and drooling over their other creations. I plan on acquiring a copy of this book for days when I'm in an inspirational rut. It's simply tannin-tastic.

No comments:

Post a Comment