Friday, July 28, 2017

"Thursday" is a new curse word. If screamed repeatedly to blindly played drums and guitars, it would be music!


​This past week has been very long, tough, and exhausting. However, for every dark and ominous cloud, there's been a bit of sunlight peeping through.  

The first problem really was ​a storm, one that knocked out our power for two days.  Oddly enough, a plumber came by the first day and magically pulled a functioning toilet from his hat (I'm tired, so there will be a plenitude of platitudes in this post).  Now we have a potty on the first floor, and it couldn't have magically appeared at a better time (It was dark. We could hear the plumber, but couldn't see him. So it was magic).

Just as our electricity came on, Robert's grandma, Carolyne, was admitted to the hospital after her heart tests came back showing some very blocked arteries.  She had triple bypass heart surgery on Thursday and it was successful.  She will be in the hospital for the next few days, healing and probably growing ornerier.  

Robert's mom, Audrey, was also scheduled for surgery on Thursday to mend a few tears in her shoulder.  Her surgery could not be moved, so while Robert stayed with his Grandma, I spent 7 hours watching TV with Audrey, as her surgery kept getting moved back. Eventually, she went into surgery and it was also successful.  She is currently staying with us and being doted on by Rachel, who just finished her last day of summer school Thursday.  

After both surgeries were completed and declared successful, I left the two sick ladies to Robert's care, and managed to take Rachel to the last half of the much-deserved Vans Warped Tour (which is code for angsty teen festival).  Though my brain, which was already exhausted, was nearly obliterated by four hours of screaming metal music, Rachel kicked serious butt this summer in school and has been looking forward to this music shindig for months.

I was a little surprised that one of my favorite bands, American Authors, was playing, so a mushy brain was a small price to pay for Rachel's happiness and hearing a few live American Authors songs. I even had the delightful surprise of watching Rachel sing along with American Authors.  She says that she listens to music that isn't screaming metal, but I have heard little evidence of it.  You know how everyone has a noise they can't stand? Rose and Ella despise the sound of  bubble wrap being popped. I can stand the sound of a tile saw. Robert loathes the blender so much he leaves the house when I make smoothies. Well, if someone doesn't throw a tantrum and start screaming during a song Rachel is outta there. Occasionally I'll hear her playing something melodic, and intrigued, I move in a bit closer (damn my hopeful heart). When she notices me listening to her music, she smiles.  But this moment is almost always ruined when the singer suddenly and murderously starts screaming and throwing a tantrum.  So maybe she was caught up in the moment, or maybe she happens to like American Authors. I may never know.  Maybe Rachel wonders whether I'll embrace screaming metal someday.  And maybe there's a compromise - like whispering metal or something that starts out brooding and ends up banjo silly.  No matter what, I think she may have a hopeful heart too.  

So yes, it's been crazy here, but I think things are looking up. Carolyne is healing.  Rachel is done with school for a couple weeks. We have a newfound appreciation for electricity.  Rose and Ella have a temporary house guest they can smother with affection. And who knows, maybe by tomorrow I will be able to hear Audrey ask for help.  Or will I?  

No comments:

Post a Comment