Wednesday, May 29, 2024

book reviews

The Paris Daughter by Kristin Harmel (Adult Fiction)












I am detecting a theme this year with my favorite books - Daughters! The Paris Daughter is absorbing, devastating, but also hopeful, and filled with moments of intense longing. Harmel highlights many different ways to grieve and doesn't try to persuade the reader that any one way is right. I thought the book didn't transition well during the bigger lapses in time, one twist was too obvious too fast, and the plane incident at the end was a bit unbelievable. But I enjoyed the connections between the characters and the moments when both Elise and Lucie got lost in their art. I particularly enjoyed every single description of Elise carving, even when she was completely consumed with grief and her need to carve grew compulsive and crazed. I would recommend this to anyone who enjoys historical fiction, strong female characters, artist characters, and explorations of grief, friendship, and human connection. 

Steeped to Death by Gretchen Rue (Adult Cozy Mystery)












My first favorite cozy mystery of the year. This one will be tough to beat as it has cats, tea, and bookshops (a few of my favorite things). I also enjoyed the characters and was surprised by the ending. I grew fond of a few characters and was very invested in their innocence. I won't give anything away, but there was a surprise that may not be a surprise for you! I bet you're so curious, you don't need me to carry on anymore. You've already put a hold on this. But I can't wrap up this review without mentioning how much I love the details - delicious tea and food details galore. Also, details of the bookshop, friendships blossoming, autumn settling in, the historic and charming town etc. The list goes on and on. I felt like I was a part of this town while reading this. I wouldn't mind being the main character's best customer, especially if she's going to start bringing her cat to work! Sorry not sorry about this spoiler alert. I couldn't help it. All of us cat fans rejoice! Hopefully the second book has even more kitties in the bookshop!

P.S. I also read the sequel, and it's pretty good.  I could have used more cat details, but book three is coming out this fall, and I'm hopeful all the shops in town have kitty rescue palaces and everyone is biking to work with their cats peeping out of backpacks. 

No comments:

Post a Comment