Friday, January 26, 2024

gross and beautiful

One of my favorite jobs at the library is something I affectionally call, "booger patrol."  Library workers all do some variation of this and probably have their own cutesy fartsy names for it.  It's a mixture of tidying up, checking/refilling faceouts, cleaning up mysterious things, finding toys in bizarre places and returning them to the play area.  The list goes on and on, but what it boils down to is keeping the library in proper order and making sure it's a welcoming place for patrons.

I also like to check for damaged books and usually take it section by section.  Any time I need a brain break I tackle a section and look for any books that are gross.  I have found everything from a partially eaten Jimmy John's sandwich (with some of the wrapper attached to identify it) to a mummified earth worm in books.  I also find a lot of silly notes and some notes of hope, frustration, and loneliness tucked into books.  Bookmarks, money, and collector cards are common bookmarks.  So are used napkins.  Gross, folks!

Most books are just fine and can be returned to a shelf.  Sometimes they need a wipe down, but other times the books are beyond repair.  One of my favorite kinds of book destruction happens when a child sees an illustration and makes their own version right in the book.  It's not a very nice thing to do to a book, but it's also one of the best compliments an illustrator can get.  Occasionally there is an ominous smell to a book, but when I open the book it's pristine.  Other times, that ominous smell really is trying to tell me something.  

Like this stinky mold, which decided it's going to completely consume this book.  

No comments:

Post a Comment