Thursday, October 19, 2023

Choo Choo

When I'm off desk at work, I sometimes like to sit in the youth services office with the door open so I can see and hear patrons.  I was sitting in the office a few days ago with the door open and lights off.  I was fully immersed in emails, but I distinctly heard a child say, "choo choo."

I looked up and there was one of my storytime regulars, an 18-24-month old who often regards with me with serious contemplation.  With that same serious look, she pointed at me and said those magical words again.  "Choo choo."  Her grandma was just steps behind her, and said, "yes that's the choo choo lady."  We exchanged smiles and then said our hellos.

I asked my little storytime regular if she wanted to sing the Goodbye Train song that day at storytime, and she gave a serious nod and toddled away.

That Goodbye Train song may get stuck in my head and become especially loud as I'm trying to fall asleep, but what my brain interprets as an unholy racket, another brain interprets as pure magic.

No comments:

Post a Comment