Thursday, January 12, 2023

reviews

I haven't had much time or brain space for most things right now, but I've been fortunate to get lost in a few great books recently.  I'm always working on creating and maintaining lists for patrons.  This is one of my favorite things to do when I need some peace time at work, and I try to read all the books on my lists.  Recently I've been working on lists about listening, transitioning to a big kid bed, and early readers.  

Unrelated to lists, I recently stumbled across Bethan Woollvin, and I will never be the same.  She's brilliant.

And just this week I gave booktalks to a middle school, so for the past month I've been trying to find a couple new books to add to the books I bring.  No such luck, but that's the reason I picked up Keeper to read.  I thought it looked like it had middle school/high school booktalk potential.  It doesn't, but it blew me away.  It was a happy little detour from teen books!  

Big Kid Bed by Leslie Patricelli (Board Book)

I love the solutions to common fears about transitioning to a big kid bed. Too much room? Add some plushy friends! Worried about tumbling out? Encircle the bed with a pillow wall!

Hansel & Gretel by Bethan Woollvin

Deliciously morbid with excellent illustrations and a brilliant twist on the original fairy tale.

The Keeper by Kelcey Ervick

An unusual blend of memoir and history that centers mostly around Ervick’s passion for soccer and how soccer has shaped her life. The layout of this memoir is splendid. It’s a mixture of art, photographs, old diary entries, and ephemera, which Ervick blends together seamlessly. I love the extended Cardinal metaphor, how the characters on the cover of the book were slowly revealed, and the constant introductions of incredibly inspirational women over the years. This will be one of those special books I buy and read constantly whenever I need a little boost of awesome.

Air by Monica Roe

Grade: 4-8. Emmie is a go-getter, has strong friendships with a small group of kids, and is a complete daredevil. Her dream of one day becoming a wheelchair motocross champion requires many things. Most importantly, she needs an expensive wheelchair to practice and compete with. She also needs her Dad’s support and trust. There are too many things to list, but Emmie isn’t the least daunted. She also already has the most important things – guts and tenacity galore. I was so impressed with Emmie and her best friend, Ale and the ingenuity they used to raise money for their endeavors. Though Emmie isn’t super into sewing wheelchair bags, I appreciated her foray into snarky bags. Both Emmie and Ale have really fun and interesting passions. Their passions are a little terrifying for a cautious soul like me, but that’s why I read! I enjoyed the characters, watching Emmie’s character mature and flourish, and most importantly, I loved the twist at the end. I knew something was up, but was still surprised and totally thrilled when it happened.

No comments:

Post a Comment