Tuesday, May 17, 2022

sneaky books

A couple reviews for ya!  These are both older titles, which just goes to show that books escape my attention all the time.  Since I spend several hours a day in the company of books, this is quite the feat!  I love sneaky books that slip past my constant trolling of the shelves so to speak.  It would be a total bore to hear the little voice in my head only ever say, "read that, read that, read that."  And patrons are always excited to share something I've never heard of.  

This first book came highly recommended by a young patron who insisted I check out the book as soon as she returned it.  Because, as we all know, most of my day is spent standing patiently by the book return, waiting for the Love Monster and other book friends to come back.  

Love Monster and the Last Chocolate by Rachel Bright (Picture Book)

A great demonstration of the pros and cons of sharing and the internal dilemma we all go through when we feel greedy or particularly attached to something and may not want to share. I love the sneaky twist at the end. I won’t give anything away, but the Love Monster has some wonderful friends. “You see, sometimes it’s when you stop to think of others…that you start to find out just how much they think of you.”

An Earthworm's Life by John Himmelman (Nonfiction Picture Book)

Charming, engrossing, and deceptively simple overview of an earthworm’s life cycle. Both Himmelman’s words and illustrations bring the earthworm to life. You will not be able to contain your excitement the moment the earthworm slips out of its ring full of eggs and poof there’s an egg case.

*Note* I am a Himmelman fan and had read a couple in this nonfiction series. There are several others if you are a fan of An Earthworm's Life: Ladybug, Dandelion, Monarch Butterfly etc.  Though the earthworm is my favorite of the series, I highly recommend them all.  They are a delight, not too wordy for nonfiction, and each is a unique way of looking at the seasons.

No comments:

Post a Comment