Sunday, October 3, 2021

Interpretations VI

Robert and I recently went to Columbia, MO, which is one of my favorite places to visit.  Nearly every year, The Columbia Arts League does an exhibit called Interpretations and here is their blurb about how it works: 

"Here’s how it works – 30 visual artworks and 30 short pieces of poetry or prose (150 words or less) are selected from a pool of submissions.  Artists and authors are then paired anonymously and at random.  Each selected visual artist will receive a piece of writing and each author, a visual image.  They then have the next few months to create a response inspired by the prompt they’ve been given.  The result is a fascinating glimpse into the creative process and a gallery chock full of penetrating conversations between works and across mediums which transcend the limits of both visual and written communication alone."

It is one of the coolest things to be a part of.  Though I love the exhibit, my favorite moment happens when I can sit down with the book (which isn't out yet) and look at how each piece of work is interpreted.  I also enjoy the process of interpreting another's work and having the time to let it slowly grow inside me. 

This year I was paired with a jeweler, Katelyn Smith and her piece immediately resonated with me.

This is the piece I interpreted:


This was the response to my original poem:


Whenever Robert and I visit Columbia, we always stop at our favorite places: Blue Stem for more art, Yellow Dog Bookshop for books, yes, but also literary journals, and the Peace Nook.  I always walk away from Columbia with a stack of goodies and a lot of inspiration.

This time around I found some Zum soap wrapped in wool - WHA?!?  It's such a lovely idea.  I also found a new literary journal, Popshot and a literary journal I love and have no idea why I don't subscribe to, Orion.  Perhaps it's one of those journals best picked up while exploring a favorite town.  I also scored some 1Canoe2 dish towels because I have no self control when it comes to dish towels.  It was such a fun day!

No comments:

Post a Comment