Sunday, August 22, 2021

about 2000 sparkles of joy



This was my first time securing sequins with french knots, which was initially tricky but quickly became a part of my flow.  This piece was incredibly meditative for me and if I started sewing with any anxieties, they disappeared after thirty minutes.  I thought the greens were going to be my favorite colors but by the end I was in love with the yellows and it was the color I finished with.


Fun facts:

I sewed my headphones cord to this piece once while making this.  I was either really tired or in a deep trance. Or both!

Each bead was sewn on one at a time.  

I used five spins for each french knot unless it was for a sequin.  I used 6-8 spins for the sequins.  I still had a few sequins pop off, and now I have a jar with these sequins labeled, "sequins with holes that are too f***ing big for french knots." I eat a lot of jam so thankfully I never run out of jars.

This is an 8 inch hoop.

I spent over 30 hours on this piece.

100+ sequins went into this piece. I learned that there are different sizes on sequins and that the middle isn't always punched through.  I spent a lot of time gently picking off the tiny extra middle pieces.

I believe I used about about 1200-1500 beads.  











This piece is for sell. Check out my Etsy for more details.

2 comments: