Wednesday, July 24, 2019

Slippery Elm & Well Versed


With all the hustle and bustle of coming home, stepping on a crack and breaking my back, cannonballing into summer reading at work, and Izzy's visit, I forgot to tell you about two recent publications.



My poem, "Roadkill" was published in Slippery Elm's 2019 issue. This is the first time one of my 'Rose and Ella' poems has been published and I am totally giddy about it.  

After my grandma passed away in 2015 I had nightmares for weeks and battled another short, but crippling bout of sleep paralysis, which I've had on and off since I was 16. After my grandma passed away I struggled to get back into life and I tried a handful of things to get my life going again. Nothing worked. I started writing all the nightmares down and reading them from different perspectives. I often tried giving the nightmares positive spins as a way to show my nightmares who was boss. This seemed to help and gradually the nightmares went away. I have a stack of poems from this dark period of my life that I've been slowly polishing. The first poem from my 'grandma' collection has been published, which is another important milestone for me.  

This poem, "Grief," along with two others, "Loose Park" and "Kaleidoscope," were published in Well Versed. I cannot find a page on their website where copies can be purchased so email me if you would like to purchase a copy.

And don't worry, Dad, I've got copies for you ; ).

No comments:

Post a Comment