Tuesday, June 5, 2018

May Reads Part 3


The Mercy Watson series* by Kate DiCamillo and illustrated by Chris Van Dusen (early reader)

*I'm only going to post my review of the first book in this series.  I loved them all, with the exception of #5, which encourages bad behavior.


I laughed most of the way through this and am now immensely enjoying the rest of the series. I think a lot of kids can relate to Mercy. She's adored by her mom and dad, she is a little bit spoiled (with buttered toast), and once she sets her mind on something, it's all she can think about until she does it. The neighbors, Baby and Eugenia, provide much laughter, and Eugenia's expressions are priceless. I also like how the repetition isn't so obvious I'm rolling my eyes each time words are repeated. There are also some big words in this series, and I'm delighted by how these words and also a lot of Mercy's actions are perfect conversation starters. The first time I read the words, "porcine wonder," I knew these books were going to change my life. Mercy has snuggled her way to the top of my list of early reader recommendations.


My Garden by Kevin Henkes (picture book)


The illustrations in My Garden are lovely. The title page has a wreath with some interesting things in it. A seashell? Buttons? A key? I think it would be really fun to point out these interesting items in storytime and ask kids if they think they belong in a garden. I applaud the imagination of the girl in this story. The garden she envisions is beautiful, whimsical, and completely dream-like. I think a lot of imaginations will grow after reading this book.

Tap the Magic Tree by Christie Matheson (picture book)


I love interactive picture books so much, and Tap the Magic Tree is one of the best. As the tree grows through its yearly cycle, the reader is encouraged to do something with their hands, like tapping the tree and clapping. Each time the audience claps or taps, something exciting happens on the next page. I also enjoyed watching the page's background colors turn different colors as the seasons changed.


The Honeybee by Kirsten Hall and illustrated by Isabelle Arsenault (picture book)


The language in The Honeybee is like a song - "This is the flower the bee has chosen. This is the flower the pollen grows in." And, "Chew, chew - we're changing its makeup, we're giving the nectar a chemical shake-up." The illustrations are zippy, exciting, and beautiful. I cannot decide which I like best - the dancing bees illustration or the hive in the tree near the end. I think there's so much storytime potential with this book. There's lots of movement and rhyme. Children can buzz, tap, and flap their way through the entire book. I gave it my best and was exhausted! There are also many fun things to ask children about. For example, can they see the pollen sacks on the dancing bees? And why are the bees dancing and tucking away pollen?


No comments:

Post a Comment