Wednesday, August 30, 2017

you just never know when you're gonna run into some hungry cats


At the library today I helped a charming patron find a few books. Once she was ready to check out I asked for her library card.  After placing her car keys on the check out table she paused, and with a huge grunt and a loud slam, hefted her bag onto the table. Several cans of cat food rolled out. I couldn't help myself and peeked into her bag.  It was completely packed to the top with cans of cat food. The only books she had were sitting next to her keys on the check out table.  After digging around in her bag for a moment she found her library card, and with a huge grin on her face, loudly proclaimed, "gotta have my cat food and library card; they're the most important things to have with you."  

I was utterly baffled.  For a hopeful moment I wondered if maybe we had some kitties in the library I didn't know about.  I mean this lady had car keys so why didn't she leave that big bag of cat food in the car?  Is it possible she thinks she'll need to have the cat food at a moment's notice?  And that much cat food?!?

Even after I found out she was two quarts shy of a gallon, the patron was just as delightful and charming.  We had a pleasant conversation, and she left carrying her books under one arm, and her giant bag of cat food weighing down her other arm.

I think this is the beginning of a wonderful friendship.  

1 comment:

  1. https://bookriot.com/2017/04/28/book-riots-favorite-bookstores-in-all-50-states-dc/

    There might be a few cat and dog people frequenting these places as well.

    ReplyDelete