Sunday, February 18, 2018

equal parts cocky and outrageously dapper



This little birdy started out as a sketch of a ruby-throated hummingbird surrounded by a few fuzzy flowers.  I carefully picked out all the threads I needed and put a piece of denim in a hoop.  I sketched out my design and tucked it in my sewing bag to start sewing on my next lunch break.

The night before I began sewing this piece the little birdy visited me in my dreams, but he wasn't a ruby-throated hummingbird anymore.

You can imagine how frustrating this was.  At first I thought it was an entirely different illustration I was thinking up.  But nope, there were those Seuss-like flowers hanging out with the birdy.

The next day I picked out new thread and sewed his outline before he could change his colors again.

I sewed the flowers and filled them in as planned.  When I sat down to fill in the bird, he said "no thanks."

This was turning out to be an obnoxious bird, and I was beginning to lose my patience with him.

But thankfully his patterns flashed across my mind one day during some forgettable task and I was able to sew them before they flew away, one stitch at a time.

He's definitely a brand-new species of bird - equal parts cocky and outrageously dapper.  And he's ready to fly away.



No comments:

Post a Comment