Wednesday, January 6, 2016

I’ve always been supported


I cannot remember what prompted me to take home Demi Lovato’s cd, Confident, from the library.  Perhaps it had something to do with the song, Confident, which is pretty great.  Or maybe it’s because it was returned with another album I like.  I’m a sucker for checking out unknown cds in a pile of greats. 

I’m not sure, and quite frankly I wasn’t that impressed with many of the songs on the album.  Except for one exceptionally powerful one.  As soon as Father came on I disappeared into the stacks to listen to it.  When I first heard it I felt so incredibly sad.  It’s a very powerful song about Demi Lovato’s rocky relationship with her father, whose passing inspired this song's fruition.  

My dad has always been my biggest cheerleader and has gone to great measures to remain a constant and positive force in my life.  I am silly because of my dad.  I am musical and athletic because of my dad.  I am a writer because of my dad. 

It is easy to take my dad, and other people as well, for granted.  I’ve always been blessed with amazing people coming and going and often staying in my life.  I’ve never been alone.  I’ve always been supported.  I hope that the love I give is just as much as I receive, and just as constant and vital. 

This song really puts my relationship with not only my dad, but with all my loved ones, into perspective.  It shines a light and says, hey, who let you sing your fool head off for hours when you were a kid and not only that, encouraged you to keep singing?  Who spent hours and hours tossing tennis balls at you and then always found enough money to share a footlong cheese coney with you after every tennis practice?  Who put a French horn in your hands and taught you not only the scales, but also Tears in Heaven and all the hymns you cherished?  Who gave you time and energy and thought you were interesting even when you were annoying? 

After listening to Father again a growing sense of empowerment soon left little room for sadness.  Father isn’t a pity trip.  It’s a brazen portrait of the emptiness Demi Lovato paints with her voice, a very childlike and beautifully flawed voice that becomes raw and powerful during the chorus.  Adding grace and depth to the vocals is a gospel choir that steps in and out of the song, letting Demi Lovato take the lead when the lyrics are particularly vulnerable and adding an incredible boost of power each time she sings of forgiveness. 

If you are listening to this for the first time, make sure you are alone.  Before you call whoever it is that you’re going to say I love you to, listen to the song again.  If you listen to this song again, it will give you the gift of composure and empowerment, and maybe even a little confidence.  I certainly find more confidence in this song than the title track. 

I know some of you have people in your lives that are a lot like Demi Lovato’s father, and that you may not feel the same way I do when I hear this song.  That’s ok.  Just know that I am here, and I’m always ready to share a footlong cheese coney with you and listen to anything and everything you want to say.  Even if you want to sing it to me in a terrible voice.  I’m here for you. 


1 comment:

  1. Yep I have no words for this post. I am proud that your dad was instrumental in the finishing development of you. I know you are not through growing, there is always the cherry on top but in this case a footlong cheese coney.

    ReplyDelete